Flea and Tick Online
Find pet pest remedies


10 Interesting Flea Facts to Help You with Flea Prevention


The more you know about fleas the better able you will be to protect yourself and your pets. When it comes to fleas, prevention is worth the effort. Getting rid of fleas can be very difficult and takes time. Keep reading for 10 interesting facts that will aid in flea prevention.

1. Fleas are tiny wingless insects. Their bodies are typically between 1.5 to 3.3 mm when they are full grown adults.

2. There are 4 stages to the lifecycle of a flea. Each stage (egg, larva, pupa and adult) requires different treatment methods in case of an infestation. This is why multiple treatment methods are recommended. Some common flea treatment options include flea collars, shampoos, sprays, powders and flea bombs.

3. Since fleas have a long and varied life cycle it is important to keep treating fleas even after the initial signs of an infestation have faded. It is generally recommended that treatment continue for at least 6 months.

4. In a typical flea population 5% of the fleas will be adults. The other 95% are in the other life cycle phases.

5. Adult fleas eat a blood diet. They have a special chemical in their saliva that helps to breakdown the skin of their host. This allows them to easily suck their blood.

6. Flea larva do not yet eat blood. Instead they primarily feed on the excrement of adult fleas or on dead skin cells and hair.

7. In a typical day, an adult flea can lay between 40-50 eggs. This equates to as many as 600 in a single season.

8. Before a flea can lay any of their small white eggs, they must first drink blood from their host.

9. Fleas can carry deadly diseases. They are largely responsible for the spread of the bubonic plague outbreak that killed as many as 75 million people in the middle ages.

10. Fleas do not have wings. They get around using their 6 small legs. The back 2 are perfectly designed for jumping.

While fleas can be very difficult to get rid of, it is not impossible. If you currently are suffering from a flea infestation, help is available. This article is for informational purposes only. Always consult with your local veterinarian to create a safe flea treatment plan that will work for your situation.

For more information about pet wellness, come to http://AnimalLoversForum.com. This free site is filled with information for animal lovers including member chat, a growing pet forum and professionally written articles. This website is provided free of charge by the Munster Animal Hospital to help animals have happier and healthier lives.













There are lots of other great websites out there. We have started a short list of some of the rather obscure ones. Here is that list.

Dog Flea Treatments
Frontline Dog Flea and Tick   ||   Frontline Cat Flea Products
Hartz Dog Flea and Tick   ||   Hartz Cat Flea Products
Advantage Dog Flea & Tick   ||   Advantage Cat Flea Prodcts

Copyright ©2016 www.Fleaandtickonline.com. All rights reserved.


Flea and Tick Popular Flea and Tick Stores Dog Products Cat Products Pet Product Manufacturers Pet Insurance More Informational Pages Contact Us